Heather with Troy Brown

21.1.08

Can Massage Help You After Surgery?

As a matter of fact I do believe that massage can help after surgery. This short blurb says that people who got massage after surgery had a reduction in their pain. These folks had four 20 min massages. They say that the people that got a massage that had a faster reduction in pain. That is pretty big. I think that someone to have less pain the faster they can get to the rehab part or the healing part.

I have had this experience twice in the last year. Here is my example. I have had two direct referrals from a client of patients that both had hip replacement surgery.

First client, young man, went to Boston to have his surgery at a orthopedic hospital. My first session was just one week post op. He noticed more movement and was much more relaxed after our first session. I saw this client for nearly one month while he was at home. After each session he felt better and was moving around the house much better. He seemed to have a better frame of mind and was able to unplug during our sessions. So how did I handle all the contraindications? I made sure that the Dr. and his visiting Nurse knew what was going on. His Dr. was all for it. He did not even question what I was planning on doing. Mind you this was all new to me and I was nervous at the start. However, I proceeded and I feel that I began to trust my hands again.

Second client, another direct referral from a client. Client was a female. She was two weeks post op and was also very familiar with massage as she got regular massage before her surgery. I wanted to clear this with her Dr. as she was with another group in the Greater Portland area that I was not familiar with. So I asked her to clear it with her Dr. His request was please send my PA a note saying what I was planning on doing. So I write the note. Client reports at the session that the PA said "it is clear that Heather knows what she is doing" that felt really good. So I give client two massages and things seem to free up for her after the first session. She gave up on the walker and even made it upstairs to have a shower. That is progress. She said that she felt great. I went back for the second session and that session went well and she felt the bed rest tension go away.

Neither client have had massage from me since their last session. I hope that they still consider massage for the rest of their lives. I hope that my short interlude in their life helped.

Do I believe the study? I do 100%. I have direct proof. I would love to have a discussion about this. Please tell me your experiences with massage. Tell me if you believe the study has legs.

In Health

No comments: